Wednesday 9 January 2013

Looking deeper



It is so crazy to me to have to say this, but at the age of 33 and three quarters I really do not recognise the person I am. This person who thirsts for Jesus, who stands in awe as she witnesses the changes He is making from the innermost core of her being outwards.

I often look at who I am now and wonder what the old me would think. I think the old me would admire my deep passion for Jesus and the fact that I'm not ashamed to proclaim the things He is doing in my life. Just for the record, He can do the same in your life too.

The old me would probably think I'm going a tad bit overboard with all the proclaiming of Christ and I should probably calm it down a bit, the old me would never dream of speaking so openly about her faith all day every day, because she was quite a private person you see, and she also cared a little too much about what other people thought, the new me is filled with a Holy boldness that is untameable. How can I possibly stifle what lives within me and has my soul on fire? The Holy Spirit lives within me, it is He that is responsible for the changes in me, so how can I possibly hide Him away when I AM Him? Phew that's DEEP.....

I think what I am trying to say is that God has touched my heart so profoundly and I am so excited and amazed at what He has done and continues to do in my life that I can't but help share my experiences with you all in the hope that you too will reach out to Him and allow Him to transform your life as well. Amen!

Seriously everything in my life is different. Everything I used to take for granted, I give the utmost thanks for. Do you know how blessed we are to be alive on this Earth? Millions didn't make it to see this morning, but we did. That my friend is a blessing of huge proportions.

What I have begun to notice more too is there are so many hurting souls out there yearning for a simple smile or a friendly 'Hello' or 'How are you?' to brighten their day. Take yesterday for instance, I was out and about and I had to take the train. I needed assistance with the lift (at my local station, the staff have to chaperone the lift for whatever reason) and since I had my son in his pushchair one of the station staff came to help. She was a woman who looked to be in her 50's she didn't look very happy, she gave me no eye contact and generally seemed quite hostile.

Undeterred I struck up a conversation with her, I can't remember what my first words were, but I think I mentioned something about the weather. I definitely remember asking if she had a long day ahead. At that point her whole face softened and she began to explain to me that yes she had a long day ahead, and she wasn't feeling well because she had a hernia in her chest which was making it difficult for her to breath and she was waiting for an X-ray appointment...

Wow. God really spoke to me in that situation. There I was pre-judging her, thinking she was hostile and rude, but when I extended myself to her and dug deeper, right there, just under the surface lay a whole array of worry and pain that was troubling her. Simply by striking up a conversation, her whole demeanour changed. Just listening to her plight humbled me, yet at the same time I could feel I was bringing her some comfort just by listening. 

I wish I had been thinking clearly because I would have asked if she would like me to pray for her. I hope I would have been brave enough to do so if the thought had entered my head. Nevertheless I wished her all the best and told her I hoped she felt better soon. I did say a personal prayer for her afterwards too. I truly believe this goes a small way in demonstrating what Jesus means when He says love thy neighbour (John 15:12). We should care for one another and be concerned for each others well being. Strangers in the streets are our neighbours and you never know what kind words you speak could lift their spirits today.

2 comments:

Charlene said...


Great post sis! God has transformed you and continues to do so right now! I am so overjoyed! We serve a faithful and living GOD!!! You have such a powerful testimony that continues today and you are boldly proclaiming it to the Glory of our mighty God! by this blog you are planting seeds and being so transparent with your life and daily struggles in a world that hides behind closed doors. Thank you for your honesty and I thank God for your life. I know he is using you as a vessel to speak to me and there is no one better as he knows that you know me so well.
Continue preaching our Lord,savior & King! Jesus christ!!! his goodness, mercy, grace and salvation. We are so blessed!

Unknown said...

Aww thank you sis, you are such an encouragement to me. We bounce off of each other and hold each other accountable. I'm so blessed to have a sister like you. God has revealed a lot about myself through you and I give Him so much thanks for using our loved ones to draw closer to Him. What a mighty, awesome God we serve. Hallelujah!! Xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...