Wednesday 21 March 2012

Mother's Day MEME

This meme has been created by Loretta over at More Than A Mum as a way of celebrating motherhood in the run up to Mother’s Day. I've been tagged by the wonderful Kate at the Makeshift Mummy blog.  In nearly 4 months of blogging, Kate is proving to be a great blogging friend. She really is lovely, so without further ado here is my response;

Image from eatatyoyos.com


Describe Motherhood in three words.
Amazing, fulfilling, Challenging


Does your experience differ from your Mother’s – how?
My mum and I have had very similar experiences. She suffered several miscarriages before she went on to have four healthy children in 4 and a half years. I lost four pregnancies, one at 20 weeks (completely devastating and traumatic doesn't even begin to cover it), but then went on on to have three beautiful healthy children, one after the other within 3 and a half years. My mum and I are proof that miracles do happen, but I can honestly say I'll be stopping at three unlike my brave parents.


Being a mum is hard work. And it is only since becoming a stay at home mum that I really can appreciate why my mum was so short tempered with us at times. I now completely get it and I am totally the same. I am with my children all day everyday, so I don't get the break from them that being at work provided, but saying that when I worked full time there were things I really disliked about that too, so no situation is ever perfect.


What’s the hardest thing about being a mum? 
I am finding that extreme tiredness can really play havoc with your patience. But I'm trying to take a deep breath and count to ten before I start shouting. Discipline is also tricky, because I want to be firm, but I also want to fair. It's hard when the children don't listen and you have to constantly repeat yourself, but techniques like the naughty step, counting to ten or taking away treats really work for me. 

Although tantrums do still happen I've come to realise that as a parent every child rearing stage brings with it it's own unique challenges. From baby, to toddler, to pre-teen to teen, to young adult, all are rife with issues that all need to be faced and overcome.

What’s the best thing?
Watching them sleeping and seeing how beautiful and peaceful they are.

I also love it when as a family we are away on a break or when we go out somewhere for the day. Seeing them running free with their dad, laughing and enjoying themselves always make my heart leap. I want their childhood's to be littered with memeories of happiness, laughter and fun times.

How has it changed you?
I feel like I finally have a purpose. Before having children I was always dissatisfied with what I had achieved in my life. Although I was doing OK in my career I always felt like my potential hadn't been maximised. With the birth of my children came the feeling of immense pride. I have helped bring three precious lives into the world who I am responsible for raising and moulding in preparation for the day when they have to go out and make their own stamp in this world.

What do you hope for your children?
To have a relationship with God and to believe that through him all things are possible. I want them to be happy and healthy and make the most of every opportunity that comes their way. I also want them to know that they can always come to me with any issue they may have, no matter how big or small.

What do you fear for them?

I try my hardest not to be fearful for my children, because life is hard enough without worrying all the time. But if I allow my mind to wander, I do worry if anything was to happen to them or their dad or I. Putting my faith in God does take away a lot of my worry as I place all my troubles on him as I know he will take care of my burdens.


What makes it all worthwhile?
Watching them grow into fine young, intelligent individuals. I often feel that what they say and do has very little to do with their dad and I and everything to do with who they are as little people. They'll come out with words and expressions which we have never explained to them and yet they know what it means or say things in the right context, that always amazes me.
I also love hearing them when they are in fits of giggles. That is the best. It is music to my ears.

As its a bit late now, I won't be tagging anyone else, but if you want to take part then please go ahead, I'd love to read your responses.

2 comments:

KJB Pony Adventures said...

Ah Natalie that is a beautiful meme. I totally agree with the finally feeling like you have a purpose. I am so sorry for your struggles in the past but like you say miracles do happen and good things come in three :-) Beautifully written. Take care Kate xx

Unknown said...

Yes indeed. Good things most certainly come in three's. I am living proof of that lol.

Have a lovely day and thank you for your comment xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...