Tuesday 1 May 2012

Back to the drawing board...


Source
It seems it'll be more tricky to get married in my dream church than I first thought. The vicar was really quick in his response to our enquiry and his letter was lovely, but from what I can gather, to get married there is looking nigh on impossible. Here is a quote from the letter...




"To be married in any Anglican parish church other than your own, as determined by residency by the so-called 'qualifying connection', you would have to demonstrate that you grew up in that parish previously or had lived there in the past for no less than six months or that the parents or grandparents of one or other of you has lived there for no less than six months in your lifetime (whether or not you lived with them) or that your parents or grandparents were baptised, confirmed or married there....'



I definitely don't have any family members who have lived in the parish or who have got baptised, confirmed or married at the church. I don't think the other half has either so doesn't look like it'll happen there.



It has got me thinking though, and there is a lovely church that is more local to us, not as lovely as my dream church but it is nice all the same. I sent an email via their website last night and the vicar replied an hour or so later stating that if we come to a church service one Sunday and introduce ourselves, we can take it from there, so it's looking very, very hopeful.......




Planning to go in the next two weeks to get things moving!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, who knew it would be so difficult with congregations dwindling.

Unknown said...

This church is in a really beautiful location, so I guess they have to stick to protocol to a certain degree, otherwise they'd be inundated. I'm never quite sure how it all works.

It is a bit disappointing, but just not meant to be so onwards and upwards : )

Nu Bride said...

This 'longness' is one of the reasons we opted for a civil ceremony at a beautiful venue and location of our choice, which will be followed by a blessing. Hope you find that your local church or other venue is just right for you both! Shame the politics have to get in the way isn't it! Xx

Unknown said...

Nu Bride I know. The church we go to regularly and are a part of isn't an actual 'church' it's held in a school hall, but they've recently had a new part built to the school, so I'm seriously considering a marquee or something to spruce it up, but they are quite pricey...plus OH isn't really convinced, he likes the idea of a beautiful church, but I'm sure I can talk him around.

A little frustrating but I know we'll get there. xx

KJB Pony Adventures said...

Ah why do they make it so difficult? My Vicar is quite welcoming to let anyone get married in our church as long as they attend the readings etc. I believe - don't quote me on that. I hope you find somewhere just as beautiful and ultimately its the long term of marriage that matters Good luck xx

Unknown said...

I know, I understand having to attend the church that makes sense, but all the other palava about the husband's, brother's, uncle needing to have done A, Y, Z just to get married there makes it a bit of a bore. Not letting it get to me though.

And yes you're right it is the long term marriage that matters in the end. A wedding is just one day after all. Must not lose sight of that. : )xx

Unknown said...

hey! i found your blog from one i follow...just wanted to say, my husband is a cofe priest and says that as long as you go to sunday services there for the forseeable future (before the wedding) it shouldn't be a problem. hope things go well in your wedding prep; i miss those plans and wish i could do it again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...